Today i am going to share a very important topic Kitchen gardening – which vegetables to grow in summer. Here are some of the vegetables which are grown in summer in lahore, karachi, peshawar and other similar climates. The best time to plant these vegetables is from February 15 to March 31. But you can plant/sow them any time between March and May depending upon the type of vegetable.
For seeds, mix old manure or leaf compost & soil in 1:4 and for seedling transplant or mature plants in 2:5.Prepare a soil mix which is loose, doesn’t compact and drains well for example if you water them in large volume it should drain completely in 1 minute.. if the water is standing then add small quantity of sand in it. Mix well with well rotted manure which has no smell..
- Okra (ladyfinger) – Bhindi بھنڈی Suitable for pots as well. Sown in February for April crop and then again in June/July for September crop. For successfully growing okra (bhindi) check this link https://www.lahoregardening.com/2012/04/kitchen-gardening-how-to-grow-okra.html
- Bitter gourd (karela) کریلہ
- Mint (pudina) پودینہ Suitable for pots as well.
- Aubergine/ Egg plant (brinjal) Baingan بینگن. Suitable for pots as well.Does well with well manured soil, but be careful not to over-water or over-feed.
- Bottle gourd (lauki) کدو, ridge gourd (tori) توری and green gourd (tinda) ٹینڈا Sown in March and April for End May crop. Then again in June/July for September crop
- Tomato ٹماٹر Suitable for pots as well . For successful tomato growing, check this link https://www.lahoregardening.com/2012/03/kitchen-gardening-tips-for-growing.html
- Spinach پالک
- Capsicum Suitable for pots as well
- Cucumber کھیرا That includes hari mirch and shimla mirch. They love heat. Sown in February and March for crop in April
- Sweet Peppers شملہ مرچ Suitable for pots as well
- Radish مولی
- Cabbage بند گوبھی